A Barbarian at the Walls

I have decided that this blog can handle more than my more academic reflections on the confluence between antiquity and today and have decided to record herein my own barbarian invasion of Greece. Yesterday, I descended upon the American School of Classical Studies at Athens for a short visit before heading out to Kenchreai and then back to Athens for a full sight-seeing tour (this means, of course, that the pictures between now and July 1 will be less exciting than after). It all began with my 14 hour travel extravaganza from Columbus to Philly and from Philly to Athens:

I managed to get the seat right up against the wall of the bathroom (row 11--remember to avoid it for future flights on this particular plane-type) which meant NO RECLINING! FOR 11 HOURS! I did not sleep very well. This is Loring Hall, the place I am staying at the school.


A statue hanging on the porch off the dining area.

The outdoor dining area.

My room is in the basement. Apparently they usually put the students there, but me and another professor are here this week and it is lucky. Loring Hall is NOT air conditioned (though we all have our own fan) and the basement stays cooler than upper floors.
The long corridor to the bathroom.

My room (including my fan)

I found a little bakery nearby that I will be breakfasting at this morning and I am going to try Greek frappe. It is coffee, I know, but I tend to like the coffee in Europe, just not in the US.  The school is in Kolonaki, an upscale neighborhood in Athens. Even here, though, you have to be prepared for emergencies:
I'm not sure what in my room is good for barricading, maybe the chair, if I can carry it to the main hall.

That is all for now. I'll try to get pictures the city over the next couple of days, especially the bakery.