Roma--Montemartini

On Sunday (my first full day back in Rome), I went to a museum I have never seen, the Montemartini. It is one of the coolest museum spaces I have ever seen. It is an old power plant that now houses part of the Capitoline Museum collection. In addition to having some very beautiful pieces, the juxtaposition of the ancient and modern, mechanical and artistic, is very compelling. Here are a few images to show you what I mean:



As I said, very cool. And here are just a few more of my favorite pieces from the museum.



Me with a giant head of Fortuna (probably). I have needed a little fortuna this week.


Graver Stele for a young boy who had won a poetry competition just before dying. His parents had the winning poem inscribed on the tomb.



Sadly, my camera battery died and I was not able to take pictures at the Capitoline. Such is life.